STOP PRESS: This swim has been postponed to a date to be fixed in March or April, 2021.
By clicking the button here to enter, you agree that you have read, understand and agree to the information below about this event...
Captain Christie Classic
This is one of our favourite swims: a lovely, country swim from Gerringong's Boat Harbour around the rock shelf into Werri Beach. It follows the course of a legendary swim by the Captain Christie, a 19th Century sea captain, who bet a crewman that he could swim from Boat Harbour around to Werri. The prize was a bottle of whisky, so all entrants of drinking age now receive a whisky miniature when they complete the course. It's a nice, country, family swim.
It's a stunner of a course, at Gerringong: from Cooke Park (Boat Harbour), northwards around the rockshelf into Werri Beach, remembering to stay out a bit from the final point to avoid the runout. Remember, also, do not be late: must be there by 9am, and they are fierce about this cut-off, becasue you need to get from the surf club around to Boat Harbour to the start. See Google Map below for directions and accommodation suggestions.
Stuff you need to know...
- Organiser - Gerringong Surf Life Saving Club
- Distance - 1.8km swim or SUP paddle
- Venue - Check in on swim day at Gerringong SLSC clubhouse, Werri Beach, before walking over the hill to swim start at Boat Harbour. Course skirts the rockshelf from Boat Harbour back into Werri Beach.
- Time/Date - Normally Sunday, January 3, 2021, this swim has been postponed to a date to be fixed in March or April, 2021. Swim starts at 10am, however registration closes strictly at 9am. Don't think this will relax on swim day: Awgies are strict on the closing time. You need to walk over the hill to swim start at Boat Harbour, and organisers are resolute in closing check-in at 9am. We have seen too many cases of mugs turning up late and missing out. Don't be one of them, particularly if you're coming from Sydney. People will pity you (think, pathos), but that won't make you feel any better.
- Registration - Enter online here. Registration on swim day opens at 7am and closes at 9am. Briefing at the surf club at 9:15am.
- Entry fee - $40 pre-race day. $50 on race day.
- Online entries close - 3pm Saturday, January 2, 2021
- Roll-over entries from 2020 - If you entered this cancelled event in 2020, check the list of roll-over entries before you enter again... Click here
- Under 18 swimmers - Parents/guardians of swimmers aged under 18 must complete the online entry form, not the swimmers themselves. They must include their consent to the entry with full name and phone contact in the Emergency contact field of the online entry form. Just a phone number, a first name, or a number and first name will not do. Entries of U18 swimmers without this complete parental/guardian consent are not complete and will not be accepted. Entries of U18 swimmers must use the parent's email, address, not that of the U18 entrant.
- Prizes - 14-17, 18-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+, Male/Female
- Conditions - This can be a challenging swim as it is definitely open water with swell rolling through the course, then bouncing back off the rockshelf. Start is in sheltered water at Boat Harbour, but finish is through the break at Werri Beach. Be careful of the runout at the southern end of Werri Beach: swim across it when you pass the point; don't try to swim into it. If conditions aren't suitable, the venue will be shifted to Seven Mile Beach, Gerroa.
- Mimimum age - 14
- Phone contact - Be sure to enter a valid Australian mobile number with your entry online. Organisers may decide to send sms messages to entrants advising of changes to event arrangments. If you don't leave a valid Australian mobile number, you won't receive them.
- More info - Email Mitch Payne or phone 0403 159 195
- Entry form - Download hard copy entry form (PDF file)... Closer to swim day
- Progress entries - For a list of progress online entries... Closer to swim day
- Roll-over entries from 2020 - Click here
Please read this first: Any problems you encounter in entering this event are likely to be caused by browser conflicts. Don't hit the Submit button more than once: you will be charged each time you press it. If you run into problems, if your entry appears to fail, don't try to enter again until you have checked the progress entries list (there's a link to this above), and check your card statement to see whether a charge has been debited. If your confirmation email doesn't turn up, check your Spam and Trash folders. If all these checks return negatives, it's probably safe to try again. But ensure you have the most recent version of your browser, or use a different browser, or try from a different computer. If there's still a problem, email us and we'll try to sort it out. Refunds are available prior to close of online entries and are subject to an administration fee of $10. All online entries are subject to a non-refundable $2.50 service fee at check-out.
Enter this event now... Closer to swim day
Where it is...