STOP PRESS (Mon, Dec 21, 2020)…
A message from the swim organisers…
Newport Pool to Peak
The Newport Pool to Peak ocean swims were due to be held on Sunday 3 January 2021.
However, after consulting with Northern Beaches Council and Surf Life Saving Northern Beaches Branch, it has been decided that in the best interests of the health and safety of swimmers, volunteers and all concerned the event should not go ahead on 3 January.
This is due to the outbreak of Covid 19 on the Northern Beaches and the uncertainty surrounding the authorities’ ability to get the outbreak under control.
While it is disappointing, Newport Surf Club has always maintained high standards of safety for swimmers and volunteers.
We are now considering two alternatives; postpone the event to another date in the next couple of months or hold the event on the first Sunday in January 2022.
If you have already paid your fees through oceanswims.com we can hold them over until the swims are held so that your entry is still valid when we hold the swims.
We are sure you will understand the reason for our actions given the Covid situation.
We will keep you advised of the new date for the Pool to Peak through oceanswims.com and we thank you for being a loyal supporter of our wonderful event.
President Newport Surf Club
Newport Pool to Peak Ocean Swims
Newport is one of those beautiful Pittwater beaches at the top of Sydney's northern beaches. It seems every beach up there is trying to outdo each other for beauty and conditions. It's a real surf and a real ocean swim. This is likely to be only the second swim held in the Sydney metropolitan area in season 2020/21, so it should be well supported. Entries are online only (to comply with Covid-19 requirements) and may be capped, so organisers advise that you do not leave your entry to the last minute.
Three distances: 800m and 2km, and now also 400m for swimmers as young as 10.
Covid-19 has forced significant changes to arrangements for ocean swims in season 2020/21, principally to do with crowd control and the need for social distancing. Please read the advice below to ensure you are well-briefed on these arrangements. Like all swims this year, entry will be online only. No new entries will be accepted on swim day, and no entries will be accepted through any means other than online.
Things you need to know...
- Swim - Newport Pool to Peak Ocean Swims
- Date, Time - Sunday, January 3, 2021, start 8:45am (400m), 9:15 (800m), 10am (2km)
- Organiser - Newport Beach SLSC
- Where - Newport Beach, Sydney northern beaches
- Entry - Online only through this page (to comply with Covid Safe restrictions). This means no new entries will be allowed on the beach on event day. Entries may be capped under Covid Safe requirements.
- Distances - 2km (10am), 800m (9:15), 400m (8:45am)
- Minimum age - 10 (400m), 13 (800m, 2km)
- Course - Circuits from the middle of Newport beach. Course maps will be displayed on the beach.
- Swim conditions - Newport is an open beach with shifting breaks, gutters, and rips, with intensity depending on tides, wind and swell direction. The reef off the southern end of the beach offers some protection from moderate swell from the sou'-east.
- Entry fees - 2km, 800m, or 400m - $30, Two swims (400m + 2km, or 800m + 2km) - $45
- Online entries close - 3pm, Saturday, January 2, 2021. Note that no entries will be accepted through any other means or after this closing time. That means: NO NEW ENTRIES ON RACE DAY.
- Under 18 swimmers - Parents/guardians of swimmers aged under 18 must complete the online entry form, not the swimmers themselves. They must include their consent to the entry with full name and phone contact. Just a phone number, a first name, or a number and first name will not do. Entries of U18 swimmers are not complete without this complete parental/guardian consent. Entries of U18 swimmers must use the parent's email address, not that of the U18 swimmer.
- Race-day check-in - A new race-day registration/check-in system will apply under Covid Safe arrangements -
- Upon arrival at Newport Beach, you will be asked to register via your mobile phone before entering the event zone. There will be no manual log-on facilities. This is essential so that we are able to provide tracking details in the event of an outbreak.
- We will have security facilities inside the event zone so that you will be able to bring your mobile for log-on.
Covid Safe Procedures - The event area will be cordoned off from the general public and social distancing will be regulated by our Covid Marshalls. Please follow the Covid Safe Marshalls’ instructions.
- A maximum of 500 people will be allowed into the event area at any one time, including event workers. That means only participating swimmers and event workers will be able to enter.
- Wherever queues are formed, you will be asked to maintain a 1.5 metre distance from other people.
- Our volunteers interacting with swimmers will wear masks and gloves.
- Entries will be online only. No entries will be accepted through any other means, and no new entries will be accepted on swim day. This will avoid close gathering and the handling of paper and ensure that all swimmers present are identified and can be tracked if necessary.
- We will have sanitiser stations in the event area and all surfaces will be cleaned regularly.
- Do Not Come to this Event if You Have Any Covid Symptoms
- If you have any respiratory or fever symptoms or have recently visited a Covid, hot-spot, please do not come to the event, even if you have entered.
- Phone contact - Be sure to enter a valid Australian mobile number with your entry online. Organisers may decide to send sms messages to entrants advising of changes to event arrangments. If you don't leave a valid Australian mobile number, you won't receive them. Your mobile number is also crucial in case you need to be Covid-tracked after the event. (Do not leave a landline number.)
- Transport and parking - You can catch a bus to Newport Beach -- the B1/199 from the city to Newport via Mona Vale, the L90 from the city, or the 199 from Manly Wharf to Newport (get the ferry to Manly). With the advent of the new Northern Beaches Council, all local residents (of the northern beaches) with parking stickers on the their car may park for free. Policy of former Pittwater Council to allow free (legal) parking till 3pm with Pittwater swims has been discontinued by the new council. Park at Newport rugby field, just up Barrenjoey Rd from the beach (same parking area as for Bilgola).
- More info - Download event flyer for more information... Click here
- Progress entries - Check progress entries... Click here
- Pittwater Swim Series - Newport is event 1 in the Pittwater Swim Series 2021. Other events in the series are Bilgola (Jan 17), Mona Vale (Jan 24), Palm-Whale (Jan 31), and Avalon (Mar 29)
Please read this: Any problems you encounter in entering this event online are likely to be caused by browser conflicts. If you run into problems, please try using a different browser, or a later version of your browser, or try from a different PC. Remember, do not enter or pay for this swim twice. If you run into problems that you can't resolve with this advice, first check the progress online entries list (link above) to see whether your entry got through, then check your bank statement online to see whether your card has been debited for the entry. If there has been no debit on your account, it's safe to try again. If there's still a problem, email us and we'll sort it out. Refunds are available prior to close of online entries only, and are subject to an admin fee of $10. After you've entered, check the progress online entries list (link above or under swims/progress entries) to make sure your entry has been recorded correctly. If your confirmation email doesn't turn up, check your Spam and Trash folders. A service fee of $2.50 attaches to all online entries at check-out.
Note, we take Mastercard and Visa only.
To enter this event... Click here
Where it is...