STOP PRESS (Sat, Apr 10 (Swim day!), 08:00): This event is canceled due to sea conditions. Organisers apologise and are very disappointed, as you can imagine. Check back here later for more information.
By clicking the button here to enter, you agree that you have read, understand and agree to the information below about this event...
A message from the organisers (11/3/21)…
Barney Mullins Swim Classic – Notice to Swimmers
We are pleased to advise our alternative date for the Barney Mullins Swim Classic.
The Swim will now be held at 10am on Saturday 10th April, 2021.
Existing entrants do not need to do anything. Your entry remains valid, and so all you will need to do it turn up on the day, register and enjoy the Swim.
Thanks again for your interest and support of the Barney Mullins Swim Classic.
We look forward to seeing you on the day.
Barney Mullins Swim Classic
Barney Mullins Swim Classic
The Barney Mullins Swim Classic was established in 1986 and is named after Life Member and Freshwater swim legend George 'Barney' Mullins. The race up until 2007 was restricted to Freshwater SLSC members. Barney passed away in October 1995 and his son, George, travels from Queensland each year to attend race day, while Barney's daughter, Trish, travels from the NSW North Coast, to remember their dad. Barney Mullins was responsible for the outstanding run of swimmers and R&R competitors to come out of Freshwater over many years.
Organisers say: "Freshwater is one of Sydney's most beautiful northern beaches and is generally protected from some of the larger swells by its north and south headlands. White sands and crystal clear water help to ensure an enjoyable swim to be had by all. Come and enjoy the beautiful beach at Freshie in addition to the post-race refreshments and presentations".
What you need to know…
- Event - Barney Mullins Swim Classic
- Organiser - Freshwater SLSC
- Distance - 1.5km
- Venue - Freshwater Beach, Sydney northern beaches, registration and swim HQ at surf club
- Time/Date - Saturday, April 10, 2021, 10am race start (postponement date)
- COVID Info – This year the race will be a “swim and go” event, without the usual presentations and other on beach activities. Start waves will be spaced further apart than usual. Competitors are requested to observe social distancing protocols and to exit the beach shortly after completing their swim. Entries are capped at 500.
- Registration - All entrants must register in the park behind the club house from 8:30-9:30am to receive their colour coded swim cap and timing anklet. Caps are provided courtesy of the Community Bank at Freshwater.
- Entry fee - $30. There will be no late entries accepted on race day this year due to COVID restrictions.
- Entry cap – Entry cap of 500 remains. However, with new date, if/as existing entrants withdraw (due to the new date), entry positions will open up on the entry portal. Best watch the entry portal to check.
- Under 18 swimmers - Parents/guardians of swimmers aged under 18 must complete the online entry form, not the swimmers themselves. They must include their consent to the entry with full name and phone contact. Just a phone number, a first name, or a number and first name will not do. Entries of U18 swimmers are not complete without this complete parental/guardian consent. Entries of U18 swimmers must use the parent's email, address, not that of the U18 entrant.
- Conditions - Freshwater is an open beach protected by headlands on both sides. There generally is a strong run-out at the northern end, where this swim starts, and which provides assistance through the break. As an open beach, there are shifting banks, gutters and rips on most days. When the tide is low, there can be a long run in and back out through shallow water.
- Minimum age - 13. All entrants must have trained adequately for the event. See note above about consent for Under 18 swimmers.
- Categories - 13-17, 18-29yrs, 30+, 40+, 50+, 60+ - male and female, "Mates", in wave starts.
- Mates wave - For families and groups of friends who wish to swim together, irrespective of their ages. If you wish to be included in this wave, please select the appropriate entry option in the online entry portal.
- Transport and parking - Regular buses (route 139) run hourly from Manly Wharf. If you drive, make sure you park legally and you pay the meter (where necessary).
- Water bottles - Freshwater will not be giving away water bottles this season, in the interest of environmental sensitivity, so please bring your own water bottles.
- More info - See Freshwater SLSC website for more info... Click here... And check out the Barney Mullins Swim Classic Facebook page... Click here
- Check progress online entries- For an up to date list of progress online entries... Click here
- All swimmers must swim the prescribed course and ensure that their name is marked off the official entrants register at the conclusion of the BARNEY MULLINS SWIM CLASSIC [The Swim] even if they do not complete the course.
- Swimmers must swim in the category for which they are eligible.
- All swimmers must wear their prescribed cap, race number.
- A swimmer may not use extraneous aids e.g. flippers, snorkels or floatation clothing devices (including wetsuits) if they wish to be eligible for a prize.
- If the water temperature is 16C or below on the day of The Swim the Race Referee will permit the wearing of wetsuits. This will not preclude swimmers from prize eligibility (if any).
- All swimmers must wear only conventional swimming costumes made from lycra and/or nylon and/or polyester. Costumes must contain no neoprene or any other 'high-tech' material or substance or any material with any flotation support. Male swimmers must wear only briefs with no arms, legs or any part of the costume covering their body above the waist. Jammer-type costumes are acceptable. Female swimmers must wear either one or two piece costumes with no arms or legs.
- "Rashies" worn for protection from the sun and/or stingers are permitted provided they are not made from neoprene or any other "high-tech" material or substance or any material with any flotation support.
- All swimmers are to behave in a fair and sportsmanlike manner without interference or aggression towards other competitors and any breach of this rule may result in disqualification from The Swim.
- If in the opinion of an event medical officer or a water safety official a competitor is physically or otherwise incapable of starting or completing The Swim or has been in the water for an inordinate time such competitor may be disqualified from starting or be removed from the water at any time.
- If in the opinion of the Race Referee the weather or swimming conditions are dangerous or unsuitable The Swim may be cancelled without notice.
- The decision of the Race Referee is final. Any protests must be made in writing to the Race Referee within 30 minutes of the completion of The Swim.
Please read this first: Any problems you encounter in entering this event are likely to be caused by browser conflicts. Don't hit the Submit button more than once: you will be charged each time you press it. If you run into problems, if your entry appears to fail, don't try to enter again until you have checked the progress entries list (there's a link to this above), and check your card statement to see whether a charge has been debited. If your confirmation email doesn't turn up, check your Spam and Trash folders. If all these checks return negatives, it's probably safe to try again. But ensure you have the most recent version of your browser, or use a different browser, or try from a different computer. If there's still a problem, email us and we'll try to sort it out. Refunds are available prior to close of online entries and are subject to an administration fee of $10. A service fee of $2.50 attaches to all online entries at check-out.
Note, we take Mastercard and Visa only.
To enter this event…Click here
Where it's at…