Breaking away from the pool and getting out to go wild with your swimming is something we’re passionate about at OceanFit, just like our passion for water safety.
Whether you’re exploring a new location closeby, taking a day trip somewhere new or camping on the coast, there are thousands of beautiful beaches to enjoy an ocean swim.
To ensure you keep safe whilst you’re enjoying a social ocean swim, here are OceanFit’s top 10 safety tips for you to consider.
1. Make sure you’re in good shape for the swim you’ve got planned
2. Take an ocean swimming lesson so you’ve got the necessary skills & knowledge
3. Check the weather and surf forecast so you know what to expect
4. Assess conditions along the beach and get tips from a local before your swim
5. Have a swim plan – where will you start and finish, and enter and exit the water?
6. Always swim with a friend and keep an eye on each other at regular intervals
7. Wear a brightly coloured swim cap so you can be seen, and a pair of goggles
8. Leave 20% energy in the tank to return to the shore, just in case you need it
9. Let someone who’s staying onshore know your swim plan
10. Relax, get in a rhythm and enjoy the moment!
First published on oceanfit.com.au